Employment and AuditionsBack >
The BPO invites highly qualified candidates to apply for the concert master vacancy. Auditions will be held over a two-day period, with the preliminary round taking place on Tuesday, Sept. 9 and the final round taking place on Wednesday, Sept. 10. For a list of area hotels, click here.
I.One movement from Bach Solo Sonatas and Partitas
II. Mozart Concerto No 4 or 5 – first mvt with cadenza
III. Romantic or 20th Century Concerto – entire concerto, choice of the following:
Prokofiev Concerto # 2
IV. Orchestral Solos:
A. Bach B Minor Mass No 6 Laudamus Aria (4/4, A Major) whole mvt
B. Brahms Symphony #1, 2nd mvt solos, measure 90 through end
C. Strauss Ein Heldenleben  to 3 measure before 
D. Strauss Also Sprach Zarathrustra, 7 after  until 
E Ravel Mother Goose Suite, Le Jardin Feerique, all solos
F. Rimsky-Korsakov Capriccio Espagnol, all solos
G. Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade, all solos
H. Shostakovich Symphony #5, 2nd mvt,  – 
I. Tchaikovsky Swan Lake, White Swan solo, Act II, Scene 13, V
V. Orchestral Excerpts
A. Beethoven Symphony # 3, Scherzo – beginning through first ending (measure 166)
B. Brahms Symphony #4
1st mvt –Allegro non troppo [L] to [M]
2nd mvt- Andante moderato 11 after [D] to 2 after [F]
4th mvt – Allegro energico e passionato [B] to [D]
C. Mahler Symphony.# 5
1st mvt –Rehearsal #7-#11 (Measures 155-231)
4th mvt (Adagietto) Rehearsal #2-#3 (Measures 38-72)
D. Mendelssohn Midsummer Night's Dream: Scherzo (Beginning to letter E)
E. Mozart Symphony #39
1st mvt – beginning through measure 103
2nd mvt - beginning to 9 measures after letter A
4th mvt - beginning to double bar
F. Strauss Don Juan, 1st page (measures 1-66)
G. Prokofiev Classical Symphony
1st mov't - beginning to measure 85
4th mov't - beginning to measure 41
H. Debussy La Mer
2nd mvt-Jeux des vagues
 to 
6 before  to 
VI. Possible sight-reading
Please send one-page resume as a PDF file by July 15 to:
Subject line: Concert Master
Or mail to:
Jennifer Comisso, Concert Master Search
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
499 Franklin St.
Buffalo, New York 14202
Second Flute Auditions
The BPO is seeking candidates to audition for the position of Second Flute. Auditions will be held on Oct. 16, 17 and 18. Resumes must be postmarked by Sept. 4 and should be sent to:
Orchestra Personnel Manager
499 Franklin Street
Buffalo, NY 14202
Audition repertoire: Flute_repertoire.pdf
Subscription Sales Manager
The Subscription Sales Manager is responsible for the management of all subscription sales for the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. The manager is responsible for the development and administration of an effective sales staff and operational procedures designed to increase customer focus, specifically related to subscribers; monitor systems and procedures for dealing with subscriptions; implementation and organization of marketing follow-up and telephone leads for phone room; implementation of a social media sales strategy and patron appreciation program; directly supervise and review staffing levels; supervise accounting procedures with regular reporting to the finance department, including subscription sales projections, sales reports, and employee payrolls. Partners with Sales Director and Marketing Director in developing and implementing tools for increasing subscription ticket sales.
- Assists and supervises staff on all aspects of biannual subscription campaigns (season and repackaging), including, but not limited to, formulating the subscription sales packages with the marketing team; coordinating the entry of the subscription sales packages in the ticketing system with the Box Office Manager, distribution of leads to subscription sales staff with phone matrix; and, forwarding completed sales to box office. Works directly with Box Office liaison to complete the latter.
- Works to attain renewal and new acquisition rates that are equivalent to comparable orchestras i.e. 85% or better and provides accurate reports to Director of Sales.
- Generates mailing and telephone ‘leads’ for phone room including, but not limited to, renewals, lapsed, new acquisitions, single ticket buyers, list exchanges, etc. Manages leads within the subscription sales office through thorough and fair distribution to sales representatives, follow-up with sales representatives and accurate reporting to Director of Sales & Director of Marketing. Develops and maintains detailed filing systems for leads.
- Ensures with Director of Sales that sales staff is completely trained on all subscription packages available for sale to the general public, both at the on-sale of the upcoming season and through repackaging of the season. Develops and updates a subscription sales training manual, to be updated as needed. Ensures that established personnel practices are maintained with each sales representative. Trains and reviews changes in subscription packages with sales staff as needed.
- Runs periodic meetings with the subscription sales staff. Provides each sales representative with weekly sales and seats goals. Ensures marketing, ticket sales/servicing and public relations issues/information is communicated effectively within the subscription sales staff.
- Establishes a comprehensive program of customer service and fulfillment for current, potential and lapsed subscribers. Program incorporates policies and procedures designed to promote quality, accessibility and development of audience base.
- In partnership with the Sales Director, Marketing Director, Finance Director and Box Office Manager, develops an effective ticketing and reporting system that meets the needs of the Philharmonic’s customer base, structures set-up and input activity to assure delivery of meaningful sales information/customer data in support of marketing and financial planning objectives, and provides appropriate measure of fiduciary/internal control.
- Coordinates education of ticketing system with the Box Office Manager. Assures complete and accurate data entry of all information into ticketing system to support the extraction of information for finance, marketing and development purposes.
- Assists Sales Director with the hiring of personnel and responsible for monthly and weekly scheduling while remaining within budgetary guidelines. Encourages and guides employees to maintain high performance levels and positive work ethic. Ensures that the Society complies with Equal Opportunity regulations.
- Attends meetings with staff, departmental and interdepartmental as scheduled.
- Undertakes other appropriate duties as assigned by Sales Director.
College degree, with strong knowledge and understanding of informational technology social media, and accounting practices. Preferred experience of working within a high volume ticketing arena, management of telemarketing sales campaigns, and served in customer service capacity. Verbal communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by successfully communicating with all invested constituencies in a team environment are mandatory for success.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Director of Sales
Secondary Reporting Responsibility: Director of Marketing, Director of Finance
Direct Reports: Subscription Sales Staff
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Mgiambra@bpo.org or mail to:
Director of Sales and Patron Services
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
499 Franklin St.
Buffalo, NY 14202