For the first time in 30 years, the BPO is mounting an international tour. Thanks to our warm relationship with Maestro Krzysztof Penderecki and Madame Elzbieta Penderecka, the BPO will perform at Warsaw’s prestigious Beethoven Easter Festival. JoAnn Falletta will make history as the first American woman to conduct an orchestra at the 20-year-old festival. The BPO will become the first full American orchestra to perform there.
Our full tour itinerary is still in progress, but here’s what we can share so far:
- On March 15 and 16, a small ensemble from the BPO will perform and give masterclasses at the Krzysztof Penderecki Centre for European Music in Luslawice.
- On March 18, the BPO performs at The National Forum of Music in Wrocław, the city’s institution of culture and a state-of-the-art multifunctional concert venue. Home to a number of instrumental and vocal ensembles, and the site of several international festivals, it was completed in 2015 and has 1800 seats.
- On March 20, the BPO makes its appearance at Philharmonic Hall in Warsaw, the centerpiece of the tour as one of 12 concerts taking place during the Beethoven Easter Festival.
- On March 21, the BPO travels to Katowice to perform in the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra (NOSPR) Concert Hall. Completed in 2014, it is the home of one of Poland’s leading symphonic orchestras.
- On March 22, the tour concludes in Lublin at the Centre for the Meeting of Cultures. The Centre opened in 2016, replacing an older building that was never completed. It boasts a large concert hall, a recital space, and smaller rooms for lectures and workshops.
The program we’re performing puts the spotlight on American master composers, including Barber’s Symphony No. 1; Gershwin’s Piano Concerto in F, featuring pianist Conrad Tao; and Bernstein’s Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. Also on the program is Krzysztof Penderecki’s Adagietto from Paradise Lost. This program was designed to celebrate the centennial of Leonard Bernstein and the 85th birthday of Penderecki, in accordance with the theme of the 2018 Beethoven Easter Festival.
Come along to Poland! You’ll get to see the BPO perform at the Beethoven Easter Festival, visit some of the country’s most famous landmarks, and enjoy exclusive cultural experiences. JoAnn Falletta will join you in Prague for the conclusion of this once-in-a-lifetime trip. Please note, there is currently a waiting list for this trip.