Supervisor: Director of Concert Production
Description / Responsibility:
- Responsible for all amplification in the Main Hall, Mary Seaton Room, Lobby and Henry’s Restaurant space at Kleinhans Music Hall
- Responsible for all amplification of the BPO when it is necessary
- Maintain all KMH and BPO owned sound equipment
- Maintain assisted listening device system – ensure system is functional; works for all KMH events
- Set, operate, strike house sound equipment for all events in Main Hall and Mary Seaton Room
- Set , operate, strike outside rented audio equipment for BPO and rental events
- Make recommendations as necessary regarding maintenance and purchase of new equipment
- Assist the BPO in determining the need for rented equipment on Pop /Rock /Specials series – including participating in show advances, and conversations with artists road managers/production staff when applicable and with BPO production vendor when applicable
- Create audio input lists; microphone plots
- Mix FOH for BPO rehearsals and concerts that require amplification
- Supervise and direct stagehands and/or production vendor staff that are setting up audio equipment
- Determine the best amplification of the BPO in order to provide the highest-quality listening experience for patrons at shows where the orchestra is amplified
- Possible this position will also be the BPO sound engineer for the BPO summer season of events taking place outside of KMH
Skills / Qualifications:
- Extensive training and experience as a sound engineer, including experience with Orchestra amplification and FOH mix
- Attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and initiative
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to adapt to a demanding work environment and at times a heavy work schedule, including weekends, evenings/holidays.
- Computer/smartphone literate
- If not already an IATSE member, must be willing to meet the requirements to join IATSE Local 10
- Must be able to legally work in the US, and provide all necessary documentation
Interested candidates can submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Lisa Gallo via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Lisa Gallo, 3 Symphony Circle, Buffalo, NY 14201.
Kleinhans Music Hall Parking Attendant and Event Set-up position
Hours: Up to 20 hours per week. Schedule Varies, includes weekends and evenings.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Sets up (with assistance of parking staff as assigned) parking and traffic control signage
- Directs vehicles to parking spaces
- Receives payment for parking fees, verifies amount due, and provides change due
- Must be able to stand on feet for hours at a time and able to lift 25 pounds with no assistance
- Maintains a neat appearance
- Directs individuals to their proper destinations
- Maintains familiarity with guests/ attendees parking.
- Maintains equipment issued in good working condition
- Assist in indoor event set up including proper placement and handling of chairs, tables, linens, and all other equipment.
- Must be customer service oriented
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be willing to work outdoors in ALL weather conditions
- Ability to carry out oral instructions
- Ability to work with and get along well with others, alertness, tact, physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position
For all inquires for this position, please contact Connor Schloop, Parking lot and Event Set Up Supervisor, at email@example.com
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
The Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra (JoAnn Falletta, Music Director) invites applications and referrals for the position of Director of Marketing.
The Director of Marketing is a member of the senior management team, reporting to the Executive Director. The Director develops and implements all marketing and communications strategies, with the goal of increasing ticket sales and attendance for all BPO events and concerts, and delivering a positive brand experience that earns support for the BPO mission. The director works in conjunction with other members of the BPO team to plan the concert season and develop program offerings.
- Directs the day-to-day operations of the marketing staff in service of the overall institutional needs of the BPO, including development and education activities, to help create a dynamic public image for the organization.
- Develop and implement all marketing and communications activities, including media relations, publications and advertising to support the BPO‘s strategic mission and long-range plan to increase awareness, ticket sales and attendance at BPO events and concerts.
- Administer a strategically driven subscription, group, and single ticket sales program to meet institutional needs for earned revenue and attendance, using direct mail, social media, email marketing, digital, print, radio and TV advertising, e-commerce, PR, special events/receptions, and promotions.
- Oversee brand development and assure consistent implementation is all areas with input of BPO constituencies, management team and orchestra leadership.
- Oversee the BPO’s digital advancement program including website and e-commerce, advertising, social media, and permission marketing.
- Serve as liaison to the marketing committee of the board of trustees, and optimize committee support of strategic and tactical marketing initiatives into the marketing planning process.
- Prepare and maintain operating budgets for marketing and communications activities, and develop revenue and expense budgets. Work with the Finance Director on budget assumptions, documentation, and analysis. Prepare financial forecasts and reports.
- Create and implement patron loyalty and retention initiatives.
- Oversee the timely development and production of all marketing and promotional materials for subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns, individual concerts, tours, educational and community activities and other BPO events. Supervise the Marketing Associate in maintaining production calendars.
- Cultivate relationships with members of the news media locally, nationally and internationally; supervise the Communications Coordinator in developing/executing media and PR plans.
- Negotiate and maintain contact with outside vendors for direct mail, design and printing services; advertising, etc., to ensure competitive pricing and the quality of their work.
- Represent the BPO to constituencies such as the Greater Buffalo Cultural Alliance and the Rotary Club of Buffalo. Collaborate with other cultural organizations in arts advocacy support.
- Develop a robust research program on marketing trends and best practices.
- Manage and direct marketing for non-BPO events activities at Kleinhans Music Hall to the extent necessary
About the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
Since its inception in 1935, the BPO has served as Buffalo’s cultural ambassador. With JoAnn Falletta serving as Music Director since 1999, the Grammy Award-winning orchestra presents more than 120 Classics, Pops, Rock, Kids, and Youth concerts each year. Under the musical direction of William Steinberg, Josef Krips, Lukas Foss, Michael Tilson Thomas, Julius Rudel, Semyon Bychkov, and Maximiano Valdes, the BPO has matured in stature. Such distinguished guest conductors as Sergei Rachmaninoff, Isaac Stern, Aaron Copland, Van Cliburn, and Yo-Yo Ma have graced the orchestra’s stage. Since 1940, the BPO’s permanent home has been Kleinhans Music Hall, a national historic landmark designed by Eliel and Eero Saarinan, considered to be one of the finest concert halls in the United States. The BPO’s administrative offices are in a former mansion, minutes away.
Living in Buffalo and Western New York
Ranked #33 among the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report, Buffalo is a city undergoing a renaissance. A thriving metropolitan region with a growing population of more than 1.1 million, Buffalo is home to many arts and culture institutions, as well as professional and amateur sports teams. Residents enjoy a thriving local pub scene and a wide selection of top-tier restaurants.
The city has a neighborly feel. With housing costs less than the national average, home ownership is well within reach. Tree-lined avenues connect people to each other, and the average commute is only 21 minutes.
Located on the eastern shore of Lake Erie, Buffalo’s newly developed waterfront is anchored by Buffalo Harbor State Park, which boasts a beach, a 1,000-slip marina, boat and personal watercraft launches, a restaurant, and walking paths. Buffalo is only 20 miles away from Niagara Falls, 90 minutes from Letchworth State Park and the Alleghany National Forest, and two hours from the New York Finger Lakes and Toronto.
Buffalo enjoys warm summers, mild springs and colorful autumns. While lake-effect snow does pile up in the winter, the city has the equipment and experience to handle it. Plus, there’s excellent skiing less than an hour from downtown.
The ideal Director of Marketing is a natural strategic planner who develops the orchestra’s marketing, sales, audience development, communications and customer services programs utilizing the latest best practices and innovations in performing arts marketing. The Director integrates marketing and sales activities into a comprehensive, multi-channel advancement program. (S)he relies heavily on data to drive decision-making. (S)he has the capacity to contribute a marketing-driven perspective to music programming conversations. The Director is a collaborative, creative, inclusive, and appropriately risk-tolerant leader who, managing a small, dedicated staff and a board marketing committee, produces high-quality work in a complex, fast-paced environment. The director cultivates a culture of hard work, mutual respect and ongoing learning.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Passion for and deep knowledge of the classical music repertoire
- Bachelor’s degree required in marketing, advertising, business, arts administration or related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with event sales, ticketing, pricing, and inventory management, preferably in the music industry
- Experience creating and executing successful integrated, multi-channel sales and marketing campaigns
- A minimum of five years of progressive data-driven marketing and sales experience
- At least three years in a hands-on management/leadership/supervisory role
- Experience building a digital and social media program
- Well-honed PR and communications capabilities
- Track record of accurate financial management and reporting
- Experience with brand development and activation
- Strong project management experience
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
The salary is competitive, and commensurate with the appointee’s qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is provided.
The deadline for applications is April 13, 2018.
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting is conducting this search on behalf of the BPO. Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, list of references, and salary requirements in confidence to:
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting
900 West End Ave, Suite 8H
New York, NY 10025
No phone calls, please. For additional information, please visit www.robertsweibel.com.
The Assistant Conductor, Community Engagement will provide professional services for the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and function as a key member of the artistic team. The successful candidate must have a thorough knowledge of orchestral repertoire, conducting experience, a commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity in the arts, command of the English language and the interest and ability to expand and build connections for the BPO within the Greater Buffalo community.
The Buffalo Philharmonic performs 120+ concerts each season and is led by Music Director JoAnn Falletta. Under her leadership the orchestra has toured Florida three times, conducted its first international tour in 30 years, performed twice at Carnegie Hall, and made 40+ recordings, one of which won two Grammys, and is one of the most often featured orchestras on Performance Today on American Public Radio.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Conduct orchestra concerts: anticipated to be 20-30 concerts annually including Youth concerts, BPO Kids (family concerts), Pops and Rock, Run-outs, and Community Engagement programs; be available for the majority of the 38 week performance season.
2. Provide such other services as may be required of a Conductor: working with artistic and education staff on repertoire ideas; assist the Music Director and Resident Conductor in preparation for concerts and recordings; serve as cover conductor for the BPO’s Music Director and Resident Conductor.
3. Work with the Director of Education and Community Engagement to:
a. Foster a stronger connection with the Buffalo Public Schools through our Side by Side Concert and All-City initiatives; increase the number of students impacted by the program, raise performance levels of the participating students through school visits and mentorship.
b. Expand access and participation for BPO youth programming including the “Symphony Scholars” program and the West-Side Connection, participate in the BPO Connect program, working directly with students in school settings.
4. Participate as a member the BPO Diversity Council and seek to advance its goals and to build and expand African American Cultural Center, Hispanic Heritage Council of WNY and others.
This position aims to create a significant work experience for a qualified musician of, but not limited to, African-American or Latinx descent.
REQUIREMENTS: Conducting experience is required. Relevant education required. Some experience in artistic administration and production preferred. The successful candidate will take residence in the Greater Buffalo Area.
Candidates should submit:
a. Current resume and cover letter
b. Three contrasting video selections from performances within the last 12 months, showing the candidate from the orchestra’s perspective, submitted as a list of links to online streams.
c. A two-minute video introducing yourself.
d. Contact information for five references.
o Three letters of recommendation (which can pull from the five references).
Application materials emailed to:
Alison Bolton, Director of Orchestra and Hall Operations
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Please submit materials by Friday, July 13, 2018
AUDITION PROCESS: Candidates must be available to audition and interview with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra on Wednesday, September 26, 2018. Up to four semi-finalists will be invited to the audition. Semi-finalists will be notified by August 15, 2018.