Patron Services Representative
The Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra is hiring a part-time Patron Services Representative for its Box Office team. Candidates are responsible for completing ticket and subscription sales, contacting patrons regarding their accounts, processing payments and acting as official representatives for the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. Applicants should have at least two years of customer service experience, have a team-oriented attitude, be well versed in Microsoft applications, and possess an interest in the local arts community. Job is approximately 20 hours a week, depending on concert schedule. Flexible availability, including weekends and evenings, is required. Part-time, $10.40 per hour.
Resumes, a cover letter and two references should be emailed to Adam Cady, Senior Manager of Patron Services, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
First Violin 1 Year Sub. Audition to be held September 27, 2018
Mozart Violin Concerto No. 3, 4 OR 5 – 1st Movement (exposition only & Cadenza)
Excerpts (1st violin):
Brahms: Symphony No. 4 Mvt I mm392 – End
Mvt III Beginning – letter [B]
Mvt. IV mm33 – letter [D]
Debussy: La Mer Figure 19-20, 35-39
Mozart: Symphony No. 39 Mvt I Beg – mm14, mm26-mm142
Mvt II Beg-mm28
Mvt IV Beg-mm105
Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night’s Dream Scherzo
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet Death of Tybalt – 1st page
Strauss: Don Juan 1st page
Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Overture
*Please note that this audition is for a 1-year position next season (2018-19). We are looking for someone who can start right away.
Send resumes by Sept. 1 to Personnel Manager Jenn Comisso at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 786 Delaware Ave., Buffalo, NY 14209.
ASSOCIATE PRINCIPAL VIOLA
Auditions to be held: October 7-8-9, 2018
Resume deadline: Postmarked by: August 27, 2018
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra information:
2018-19- season: $1,263 weekly base salary (includes $75 EMG per week)
40 week season
Health insurance plan with employee contribution
Pension contribution; Short and long term disability plans
Instrument insurance plan available for musicians
To request reservation information and additional details, send materials to:
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
786 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14209
ATTN: Personnel Manager or email to email@example.com
ONE OF THE FOLLOWING FROM (1) PLUS (2) & (3):
1. Bartok: Concerto Beginning to bar 90
Hindemith: Der Schwanendreher Beginning to 8 after [M]
Walton: Concerto Beginning to 8 before 12
2. Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante 1st mvmt.- Bar 72-223
2nd mvmt. – Bar 16-53
3. Bach: 1 mvmt from any of the unaccompanied Cello Suites, Violin Sonatas or Partitas
- Ravel: Mother Goose Suite last mvmt solo
- Strauss: Don Quixote 4 bars after  – 1 bar before 
 – 3 bars before 
1 after  – downbeat, 2 bars before 
- Enescu: Romanian Rhapsodie #1  – 
- Kodaly: Háry János Suite 3rd movement: Andante
Beginning –  (bar 12)
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 2nd mvmt. bar 1-10, 49-59, 98-106
- Brahms: Haydn Variations Variations 5, 7, 8
- Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night’s Dream Scherzo, Letter [C] – [D]
- Mozart: Symphony 35 4th mvmt. bar 134-181
- Ravel: Daphnis and Chloe Suite No. 2: Reh  – 
- Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 1st mvmt. 15-17
- Strauss: Don Juan Beginning to [E]
- Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 1st mvmt. Allegro Non Troppo to 5 after [C]
Dvorak American Quartet: 1st and last mvmts.
Assistant Conductor of Community Engagement
The Assistant Conductor, Community Engagement will provide professional services for the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and function as a key member of the artistic team. The successful candidate must have a thorough knowledge of orchestral repertoire, conducting experience, a commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity in the arts, command of the English language and the interest and ability to expand and build connections for the BPO within the Greater Buffalo community.
The Buffalo Philharmonic performs 120+ concerts each season and is led by Music Director JoAnn Falletta. Under her leadership, the orchestra has toured Florida three times, conducted its first international tour in 30 years, performed twice at Carnegie Hall, and made 40+ recordings, one of which won two Grammys, and is one of the most often featured orchestras on Performance Today on American Public Radio.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Conduct orchestra concerts: anticipated to be 20-30 concerts annually including Youth concerts, BPO Kids (family concerts), Pops and Rock, Run-outs, and Community Engagement programs; be available for the majority of the 38 week performance season.
2. Provide such other services as may be required of a Conductor: working with artistic and education staff on repertoire ideas; assist the Music Director and Resident Conductor in preparation for concerts and recordings; serve as cover conductor for the BPO’s Music Director and Resident Conductor.
3. Work with the Director of Education and Community Engagement to:
a. Foster a stronger connection with the Buffalo Public Schools through our Side by Side Concert and All-City initiatives; increase the number of students impacted by the program, raise performance levels of the participating students through school visits and mentorship.
b. Expand access and participation for BPO youth programming including the “Symphony Scholars” program and the West-Side Connection, participate in the BPO Connect program, working directly with students in school settings.
4. Participate as a member the BPO Diversity Council and seek to advance its goals and to build and expand African American Cultural Center, Hispanic Heritage Council of WNY and others.
This position aims to create a significant work experience for a qualified musician of, but not limited to, African-American or Latinx descent.
REQUIREMENTS: Conducting experience is required. Relevant education required. Some experience in artistic administration and production preferred. The successful candidate will take residence in the Greater Buffalo Area.
Candidates should submit:
a. Current resume and cover letter
b. Three contrasting video selections from performances within the last 12 months, showing the candidate from the orchestra’s perspective, submitted as a list of links to online streams.
c. A two-minute video introducing yourself.
d. Contact information for five references.
o Three letters of recommendation (which can pull from the five references).
Application materials emailed to:
Alison Bolton, Director of Orchestra and Hall Operations
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Please submit materials by Friday, July 13, 2018
AUDITION PROCESS: Candidates must be available to audition and interview with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra on Wednesday, September 26, 2018. Up to four semi-finalists will be invited to the audition. Semi-finalists will be notified by August 15, 2018.