There are no open positions at this time. Please check back later.
Auditions to be held: February 5-6-7, 2018
Resume deadline was: January 12, 2018
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra information:
- Current 2017-18 season: $1,231.2 weekly base salary (includes $75 EMG per week), plus overscale
- 40 week season
- Health insurance plan with employee contribution
- Pension contribution; Short and long term disability plans
- Instrument insurance plan available for musicians
To request reservation information and additional details, send materials to:
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
786 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14209
ATTN: Personnel Manager or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Mozart: clarinet Concerto (exposition)
2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 (2nd & 4th mvmt solos)
3. Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 (1st & 2nd mvmt solos)
4. Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 (Trio from Minuet)
5. Brahms: Symphony No. 3 (2nd mvmt)
6. Gershwin/Grofe: Rhapsody in Blue (opening solo)
7. Kodaly: Dances of Galanta (solos only)
8. Mendelssohn: Scherzo from A Midsummer Night’s Dream
9. Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf
10. Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 2 (3rd mvmt – opening solo to 1 measure before 47)
11. Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe (1 measure after 155 to the downbeat of 3 measures after 157, 3 measures before 213 to the end)
12. Ravel: Ma Mere L’oye (III Laideronnette, imperatrice des pagodes – rehearsal number 9 to number 11)
13. RAVEL: Piano cocerto in g (2nd mvmt. – 4 after no. 1 for four measures)
14. Respighi: The Pines of Rome (3rd mvmt solo)
15. Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol (I Alborado. and III Alborado.)
16. Shostakovich: Symphony no. 9 (2nd mvmt – beginning to letter a)(3rd mvmt – beginning to measure 40)
17. Strauss: Don Juan (1 before E to 2 before G) (15 after letter M to 1 after N)
18. Stravinsky: Variation de L’oiseau de feu
Provide professional services as Assistant Conductor in performances under the auspices of the ORCHESTRA.
Leading candidates will show a demonstrated commitment to classical music along with a thorough knowledge of orchestral repertoire and command of the English language. Passion for classical music paired with the ability to develop imaginative programming that encourages music education for all ages is essential.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties may include but are not limited to:
Conduct concerts in the regular and summer season as determined by the ORCHESTRA. Serve as cover conductor in the event of illness or any other unforeseen reason for non-performance by another conductor.
Provide to the ORCHESTRA in a timely manner legible and complete draft programs that adhere to budget parameters. These programs are to be vetted with the Director of Orchestra and Hall Operations and then submitted to the Director of Orchestra and Hall Operations for final approval.
Cooperate with the Director of Orchestra and Hall Operations in assuring that all provisions of the Orchestra CBA are adhered to in relation to the scheduling, rehearsals and posting of programs for which the Assistant Conductor is responsible.
Develop and implement educational programming in cooperation with the Director of Education and Community Engagement.
Provide such other services as may be required of a Conductor i.e. repertoire ideas, assisting with recording sessions, etc.
Assistant Conductor agrees to furnish as necessary a reasonable quantity of publicity materials, including updated photographs and biographical data or make himself/herself available to have such publicity materials developed by the orchestra.
Assistant Conductor agrees to participate, wherever appropriate, in media events: interviews, news, conferences, etc.
The Assistant Conductor will conduct Youth Concerts, Pops, special and family programs, outreach runouts and summer concerts. The successful candidate will also serve as cover conductor when not on the podium, be an active participant at the BPO Education Committee meetings, participate in auditions, be involved in season planning, public speaking, pre-concert lectures, media relations and writing as needed.
At least three years experience is required. Relevant education required. Some experience in artistic administration and production preferred. The successful candidate will take residence in the Greater Buffalo Area.
Candidates should submit:
- Current resume and cover letter
- Three contrasting video selections from performances within the last 18 months, showing the candidate from the orchestra’s perspective, submitted as a list of links to online streams.
- A two minute video introducing yourself.
- Contact information for five references.
- Three letters of recommendation (which can pull from the five references).
Application materials emailed to:
Alison Bolton, Director of Orchestra and Hall Operations
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Please submit materials by Monday January 15, 2018
Candidates must be available to audition and interview with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra on May 8, 2018. Up to six semi-finalists will be invited to the audition. Semi-finalists will be notified by April 10, 2018.