Job Title: Operations Manager
Date: December 2019
The Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra seeks a full-time Operations Manager to join its team. Currently operating on a budget of $12 million, the Grammy Award-winning orchestra is led by Music Director Joann Falletta and has served Western New York since 1935. The orchestra presents 130 concerts per year over a 38 weeks including Classics, Pops, Family, Holiday, Youth Concerts and outreach concerts throughout the community during the summer and manages multiple broadcast and recording projects. Kleinhans Music Hall, a National Historic Landmark Building, renowned for its acoustics has been the home of the BPO since 1940.
The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring that the scheduling and production of concerts, rehearsals, tour, run-outs, and special events run smoothly, effectively, and in a financially responsible manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as the primary operations liaison for the BPO.
- Advance BPO concerts, programs. Including all Classical, Pops, Rock and Education programming.
- Act as primary “manager on duty” for all BPO rehearsals and performances. (In rotation with the Director of Artistic and Orchestra Operations)
- Create stage plots
- Oversight and management of stage crew, including:
- Generate and distribute production sheets and other paperwork for operations staff and stage crew
- Review crew schedule and process payroll
- Assist Director of Artistic and Orchestra Operations with development of annual production budgets, projections, and tracking of actuals throughout the year
- Schedule non-backline instrument rentals
- Monitor and schedule maintenance and repair of all BPO-owned instruments
- Research and obtain props, wardrobe, costumes, or other related items as required for concert productions in conjunction with other team members
- Schedule bus transportation for the orchestra, choruses, and other large groups
- Participate in monthly department-wide BPO/KMH event operations review meetings, weekly Operations team, and meeting with Director of Artistic and Orchestra Operations.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES:
- A minimum of two (2) years increasingly responsible orchestra operations experience
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to exercise sound judgment
- Requires strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and maintain high quality and high safety standards
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and professionally both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated experience with labor union practices and labor relations required
- Must demonstrate a flexible and collaborative work style and have the ability to interact professionally with a wide variety of constituents
- Knowledge of classical music and symphonic repertoire
Reporting to the Director for Artistic and Orchestra Operations, the Operations Manager is part of a 9-person department including two full-time stagehands, two part-time stagehands, two librarians, personnel manager and an operations coordinator. The position is available immediately and offers medical insurance, paid vacation, a 401 (b) 3 retirement plan among other benefits. Prior orchestra experience necessary. Interested persons should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
SECOND ASSISTANT CONCERTMASTER
Canceled – Filled Internally.
SECTION DOUBLE BASS (Rotating Seat)
Auditions to be held: February 4-5, 2020
Resume deadline: Postmarked by Dec 31, 2019
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra information:
2019-20- season: $51,235 annual base salary (includes $75 weekly EMG)
40 week season
Health insurance plan with employee contribution
Pension contribution; Short and long term disability plans
Instrument insurance plan available for musicians
To request reservation information and additional details, send materials to:
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
786 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14209
ATTN: Personnel Manager or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.