Friends of the BPO Young Musicians’ Scholarship
Applications for the 2019-2020 Friends of the BPO Young Musicians’ Scholarships have closed. Please check back in the fall for our 2020-2021 application announcement.
Important Dates & Deadlines:
November 18, 2019
- Audio recording (mp3 or CD) and all portions of application postmarked by November 18.
- Audio recording and all sections of application (A,B,C) submitted electronically or mailed to:
FRIENDS OF THE BPO Young Musicians’ Scholarship Chair
263 Old Oak Post Road, East Amherst, NY 14051
Submissions may also be emailed to:
March 7, 2020
- Finalists auditions and Interviews
AUDIO RECORDING: Label mp3 or CD with applicant name, school, title of selections and instrument/voice. ACCOMPANIMENT IS REQUIRED on at least one selection.
MUSIC: Perform at least two (2) different selections. MAXIMUM TIME: 8 MINUTES OF MUSIC.
Select a piece which displays technical facility and another in a contrasting style demonstrating musicianship and interpretation. VOCALISTS – Include at least one selection from the current NYSSMA Manual.
ESSAY: PART B of the application is an essay. The essay should not exceed 500 words. Please submit as a word document or pdf. Applicant essay should include the following:
- Statement about your plans to continue music study.
- Your eventual goal as a career in music.
- The route you hope to take to reach your goal.
- Whom or what has motivated or inspired you.
- Honors, awards, and other distinctions.
RECOMMENDATIONS (2): PART C – Submit recommendations from school or private music teacher and school counselor or principal.
AUDITION: A committee will choose finalists who will be invited to audition and interview on Saturday, March 7, 2020. Auditions are limited to EIGHT (8) minutes in length and finalists should plan their performance accordingly so as not to exceed the allotted time. This audition should be considered a recital performance with proper dress, acknowledgement of the audience, etc. Bring your accompanist, as ACCOMPANIMENT IS REQUIRED on at least one selection.
Requirements for Young Musicians’ Scholarship Applicants
- Seniors who will enroll at a university/college as a music major in the fall of 2020 are eligible to apply.
- Scholarships are available for High School seniors from Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee-Wyoming, Niagara and Orleans counties.
- Piano accompaniment is required on at least one selection.
- ALL DEADLINES MUST BE MET. NO EXCEPTIONS!
An audio recording (mp3 or CD) and all sections of the application (A,B,C), including recommendations by your music teacher and school counselor or principal must be postmarked by November 18.
- No student will be granted an audition or interview if the above requirements are not met.
- Applicants will be notified at home via US Mail as to all commitments, decisions, and final awards.
- Three YOUNG MUSICIANS’ SCHOLARSHIPS will be awarded – first place of $3000, second place of $2000 and third place of $1000. SCHOLARSHIPS WILL BE PAYABLE TO THE WINNER’S COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY IN ONE LUMP SUM.
Monies will be awarded second semester of the freshman year of college upon receipt of a formal statement from the school indicating student achievement. Winners are required to earn a 3.0 GPA or its equivalent, according to school grading policies.
- The YOUNG MUSICIANS’ SCHOLARSHIP award presentation will be on Saturday, May 2, 2020 at the BPO Concert in Kleinhans Music Hall
- All audio recordings and application forms become the property of the Friends of the BPO and will not be returned.
- Finalists must supply their own instrument needs for the March 7 audition.
- STRING APPLICANTS ONLY: The BUFFALO CHAMBER MUSIC SOCIETY will be awarding up to three SILVERMAN STRING SCHOLARSHIPS, each in the amount of $1,500.
Check #16 on the application if you wish to be considered for this scholarship. Only string players who qualify as finalists will be eligible for the SILVERMAN STRING SCHOLARSHIP.
Judges from the BUFFALO CHAMBER MUSIC SOCIETY will be present during the March 7 YOUNG MUSICIANS SCHOLARSHIP auditions and interviews. The Silverman String Scholarship will be awarded after the first year of the recipient’s successful study (with college validation) – at a date and time determined by the Buffalo Chamber Music Society.
*Deadline: Postmarked by November 18, 2019. Please remind about the deadline to those individuals you’ve asked to submit recommendations!